Pale Blue Ego Wrote:
> I'm thinking the folks at Slim have been a little too quiet lately.
> Either they're bogged down filling orders, out blowing their
> recently-acquired fortunes, or working up some new stuff in the lab.

Interesting - perhaps they would first focus on some "most requested"
features like:

> b - Heavy-duty power supply.  Lots of mods in the audiophile community
> suggest this is an area for possible improvement
>
> d - Front panel controls.  There has been some demand for this, and the
> larger front panel would allow space for it.
>
> i - upgraded remote, which is actually my 2nd speculation - see below.
>
> 2 - a premium remote control dedicated to making the SB experience
> easier, more fun and enjoyable.  It would have a bright, vivid color
> LCD screen at least 320 x 240 pixels.  Album art and track details are
> displayed as the song plays.  Browse by album cover is possible (touch
> screen?).  Backlighting is essential.  RF is standard, so you don't
> need line-of-sight.  These technologies tend to be pretty expensive, so
> the remote might cost more than the actual SB!  I'm thinking in the $300
> - $500 range.  A lot of people would want it, though.  It's a nice
> upgrade for existing SB die-hards, and I'm guessing a significant
> number of new orders would go for the upgrade remote, too.

Anyone browsing the forums sees regular requests for that stuff.

Personally, an upgraded remote would be interesting to me as the Nokia
770 is not likely to be available in my country anytime soon.
Unfortunately I'm in a cash crunch at the moment.

I agree with Steve, there are lots of requests for a Slim boombox too.
Perhaps it could be combined with a "clock radio" Squeezebox or perhaps
it'll be a separate piece of hardware.

I'll add another item for speculation:

- moving SlimServer to some sort of native application with full
animation and more advanced controls.  How many times have we seen "how
come SlimServer doesn't play music on its own?", "why doesn't SlimServer
have a progress bar" and "why doesn't SlimServer show me the progress
it's making when rescanning?"  All these would be solved by a native
app.  Perhaps it could be built on Firefox, much like Songbird.

--
Mark Lanctot