This has stumped me for a while now.  When i switch on my squeezebox and
press the power button, the pc operating the slimserver switches on.  It
doesnt come out of standby, it switches on from complete power off.
Question is how?  How does a computer that is off receive a signal and
know what to do with it, I cant understand it as surely the squeexebox
would be sending a signal over wireless to my router to be directed to
an ip address that was not contactable because the computer was off.
Here's the strange part.  It only does this if the computer has been
totally denied power - switched off at the mains.  If i shut down the
machine, pressing the power button no longer wakes the server.

I'm sure its some sort of technology bt i cannot see how it can work.
I could understand if it was waking up a machine that was in standby,
but not one that wasnt even switched on.

I hope someone can shed some light on this strange behaviour.

--
russj