I understand the difference between PLAY and ADD, and
with your suggested server setting the Squeezebox works
as I think it should.

I think the trouble I got into was using PLAY to play (and
add to Now Playing) the first song, but because I hit PLAY
I got all the album's songs added to the playlist.  On subsequent
ADDs, I added the individual songs I wanted, but didn't
know how all the unwanted songs got added.  Now that
I've set the server settings to play only the song, not the
album, both PLAY and ADD should add only the selected
song to the Now Playing playlist.

Thanks for your help!

--
loneagle