Probably should have piped in earlier with what went wrong and how I
solved it.

Not sure why the underscore problem was happening, but reinstalled slim
server, only to keep having login problems.

Put in my username/password again and again, and it kept failing.  My
password contains the letter S.  One time entering, I happened to
notice that when I put in the s in the password, rather than adding it
to the password field in the left frame, it was turning shuffle on in
the right frame, so the s was not sent as part of the password,
therefore not logging me in correctly.  Perhaps a bug that should be
dealt with on SlimServer, but I got around it by typing the password in
a text editor, and a cut/paste into the password box.

--
Cronos