dean Wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2006, at 12:18 PM, radish wrote:
>

> > Regular player preferences are keyed by MAC, because as you rightly
> > point out, IPs can change quite frequently. Where the MAC is
> > unavailable (because it's on a routed network) I guess it has no
> > choice
> > but to use IP. I'm not really sure how you'd handle identifying a
> > player
> > when the MAC is unknown and the IP is dynamic.
> Actually, the Squeezebox sends its MAC address as a unique identifier
>
> in band on the Slimproto connection and doesn't rely on the MAC
> address on the packets to identify the player.

Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense. So a slimproto player
could send some UID for itself even if it (somehow) doesn't have a MAC?

Would it make sense to add a similar feature to the stream.mp3 method?
How about an optional "player=..." http parameter which could allow a
bookmark to identify which set of prefs the server should use, ignoring
IP address?

--
radish