I own a couple of SqueezeBoxes and just visited the Sonos site for the
first time upon reading this thread.  the Sonos is definitely a cool
looking product (at 3x the price per station, it should be), but it
really is in a different category than the SB.

To me, the SB is more like a component that supplements an existing
system, whereas the Sonos is more like a high-end, self-contained,
whole-house audio system.  Both can crossover and function in the other
role, but which one you buy really depends on what you're expecting and
want to pay.

I picture the Sonos user as someone who wants to put a sound system in
a lot of rooms, many of which don't already have dedicated sound
systems.  This user wants to be able to carry a (very impressive)
propritary remote around the house and control the music to the entire
house from wherever he/she is.  This user also wants a turn-key system
with as little dependency on a server as possible.

On the other hand, I picture the SB user as someone whose main goal is
to stream their music collection to an existing sound system or
systems.  Who tends to primarily play/control their music in one room
at a time.  And who considers simulcasting to other rooms or the whole
house a secondary priority.  This user also tends to be comfortable
having their music on a "real" server and considers it an advantage.

Judging from what I've heard, the sound quality of both systems is
otherwise comparable.  Setup is probably a little bit more complex on
the SB, but I certainly wouldn't say it was difficult.  So it really
comes down to how you intend to use the system that would determine
one's choice.

If the Sonos and SB were the same price, I think I would still have
gone with the SB.  I don't need more amplifiers, I like using my
universal remote, I really like the open-source server concept, and the
display on the SB units is exceptional.  I can certainly see why the
Sonos system is compelling to some, but for me, it is not competition.
It's just another category of product.

--
Gildahl