danco Wrote:

> One point that needs discussion, as we seem to disagree. One of you
> writes
>
> "One simple fix in case of DHCP problems is to assign a fixed IP
> address: pick one in the same range as the ones your DHCP server is
> handing out, but above where it is likely to reach. For example, if
> your PCs are getting addresses 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.4, try
> 192.168.0.15".
>
> On my router, the addresses handed out are different. The dynamic
> addresses start at 192.168.1.11, with the range from 2 to 10 being
> reserved for static addresses. If 15 was actually in the dynamic range,
> would there be any issues in setting it manually?

That was me.  And no, your DHCP server should be ok with another device
assigning itself an address within the range it is going to use... at
least until the DHCP server wants to hand out the same one! Hence the
suggestion to pick an address above where its likely to go.  Feel free
to amend/elaborate as you wish, I was just trying to make the point
that manually assigning an IP address seems to work for quite a few
people...

Regards
Ceejay

--