Hmm, jph and aubuti, thanks for the help so far.  I kinda figured
something like this would be the "solution", although I'm still open to
any other options.  This seems like it's a feature request, although I'm
not sure how popular it would be and I know a lot of others are waiting
on different features.  Basically the feature would be, if two files
have the same file name (minus extension), and tag info
(artist-album-song), prioritize a list.  Say flac/ape/Apple-lossless
beats out mp3/aac/ogg/... for a spot in the library, but if a(n)
mp3/aac/ogg/... files exists without a lossless counterpart, include
that file in the library.

There are problems with this, I know, like wav and aiff don't have tag
info, so who wins between say wav and flac?  Who wins between ape and
flac?  but the general idea would solve this problem.

Awaiting any other solutions...Thanks.

--
verbatone