So I decided to drink the Kool-Aid and tried Moose.

I guess the thing that was holding me back was .NET.  Last time I
installed it, it was pretty obnoxious, adding a user, lengthening
boot-up time, etc.  So I armed myself with a complete system and
registry backup and found relevant web pages for automatic logon.

.NET 2.0 is a huge improvement.  No impact on boot-up times and no
annoying 'ASP .NET' user.

And Moose?  Wow!  What a cool app!  Fast, efficient, clean, uncluttered
UI, bug-free.  Up and running in two minutes flat.  At first I thought
"seeing as I still have to run SlimServer, why try Moose?" but I
realize that Firefox with the SlimServer interface loaded takes up 23
MB, Moose takes up 10 MB - so SS + Moose is lighter.

Rescan is FAST!  1900 tracks in 2 seconds!  Whoa!  I thought I missed
something and rescanned again, which barely blinked up on the screen.

I have a few minor niggles:

1.  Stop does not work.  Pause does, but pressing the Stop button on
the bottom right has no effect.

2.  Changing players is not as intuitive or simple as other operations.
I guess this has to be done by the radio button in preferences?
Personally I'd prefer a simple button somewhere in the main UI.
Something that would call up a drop-down list.

3.  I couldn't get the external tagger to work (Mp3tag).  It errored
out with a German dialog.  I've seen this issue mentioned before, I
just have to look for the solution.

4.  It waits a fairly long time for the server response when starting
up.  10-15 seconds.  No big deal, but I thought there was a problem
when I first started it.

I haven't experienced any problems others have experienced like
flickering when dragging or excessive processor usage.

Dr Lovegrove, thank you so much for this fantastic app!

--
Mark Lanctot