But which switches/routers actually supply power that way?  ALso, I guess it's convenient, but with so many upgrading powersupplies, how many would really downgrade to the power that would come over an ethernet cable from some random switch?

This whole thing brings up an interesting thing from my office.  When they put in wiring for wireless access points, they put 2 ethernet jacks next to each AP.  I figured one was for the signal, and they were goind to run power through the other one.  But when they were done, each one only had a single wire.  This is clearly the technology used.