(1) is an installable plug-in (just a single file) and I've been using
(2) since the start which to my mind errs on the pessimistic side
(though not I suppose if you want FLAC without timing errors (jitter).

I hope I'm not putting a curse on this but I changed the channel from 6
to 1 and it appears to be OK it has just played an entire FLAC encoded
CD for the first time (David Gilmour - On An Island, out this week, if
you liked Pink Floyd it's a must buy) Given that is does seem to need a
clean signal I think I'm going to have to put another Access Point in
the loft as they want three Squeezeboxes next door.

Let's hope I continue to make progress.

Tim

--
timmorris