There are many threads on this topic, search for "compilation tag*" for
a selection. A recent one was
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20595

The way it is supposed to work is that if you have "Group Compilation
Albums Together" selected, slimserver when scanning will try to spot a
compilation album (by the fact that the tracks are apparently by more
than one artist).

For some people (including me) this works fine. However there is also a
mechanism whereby the presence of a COMPILATION tag can be used to force
the compilation behaviour: you don't need to spend $25 to do this, just
use any tagger that allows you to add an arbitrary tag (I know mp3tag
can do this, I would guess that tag&rename might).

HTH

Ceejay

--
ceejay