My solution to this - for now anyway - is to use my 6o GB iPod with a
head unit in my car that actually docks with it, so the menu/interface
is controllable through the head unit.  I have an Alpine for that -
works like a dream.  Sure, no FLAC but...  *shrugs*

Frankly, I think my setup is ideal because it's widely supported and
the iPod's hard drives are likely to get larger over time (so if I want
more available, I can do so as a newer iPod comes out).

For Slim Devices to penetrate this market would be *VERY* difficult
IMHO.  It's already saturated and Apple/iPod are the platform of choice
pretty much...

Just my 2 cents.

--
EnochLight