Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton
That reminds me. What type of cable would I need to

a)link a wired squeezebox3 to a qnap? I know fifer mentions ethernet
but is that all I have to ask for when I go into somewhere like pcworld
or order it online?

As I understand it. You need ethernet cable to connect anything to a
router. But crossover ethernet cable to wire things directly. Some
devices (like my Buffalo Linkstation) has a switch that allows you to
use either cable. Some routers have autoswitching to make sure you
don't use the wrong cable (like my Linksys).

As the Qnap to SB3 is device to device you need crossover not standard
ethernet cable which I think is what the instructions say. When I
connected my SB3 to the Qnap the other day I certainly used crossover
which a) worked and b)didn't break anything.

I don't really like hard drives in my front room from a noise
perspective. I am always slightly aware of my Sky+ and its constant
disk access. I am using Devolo power plugs which allow you to say put
the Qnap in the loft and the SB3 in the front room. Although as yet
this is via a router. I don't see why they shouldn't work directly.

On a different note, and for Paul, any thoughts on my WMA Lossless
stuff yet please?

--
Trumper1