I use a mac mini running headlessly and wired straight to the
squeezebox. Have about 350 albums ripped at 320 mp3 (80%) and flac
(20%). Takes about 45gb of the 80gb disc iirc, so depending on what
format you use, it should be enough space, but you can always expand if
you need to. I didn't rip on the mini so can't comment on that - I just
copied everything on to it from my linux box at home. The mac issues
the ip address to the squeezebox and I have no internet connection to
it (it's in a holiday apartment). System is set to sleep so squeezebox
wakes it up on demand - i.e. when there's actually somebody there!
Didn't even need a crossover cable. Very simple and effective solution.

--
xio