hickinbottoms Wrote:
> I use boxbackup to continuously sync my music (and anything I want to
> back up), to a disc I've installed remotely at a friends house over
> ADSL.

> It's saved my bacon in the past.
Although I know a lot of people are doing automated syncs using any
number of software solutions, I have a real problem with considering
this a safe backup solution.  It's not so much the sync part - it's the
_automated_ part.  For example: You accidentally delete a few folders of
important data without noticing, the sync then deletes them on the
"backup" copy.  You're SOL.

Syncing is a nice, easy way to make backup copies, but I'd reserve it
for manual operations only.  It's best to have a very high level of
confidence in the integrity of the original before you push it to your
only sync'd copy.

Now, if you can keep multiple generations of copies, automating the
process isn't so unsafe, so long as you think you'll catch a deletion
or corruption before all of the copies are overwritten.  That's usually
not an option, though, when we're talking about multi-hundred-gigabyte
media libraries.

--
JJZolx

Jim