I too have built a shuttle slimserver box

it also acts a printer server and stores all my other media files such
as movies and digital photos

it has two 250GB SATA hard drives in a mirrored RAID 1 configration (so
only 250GB usable space)

it does not have a monitor or Keyboard,  it's purely used as a network
attached Storage device. I just VNC into it if i need to make any
configuration changes.

the 5 1/4 bay is unused (I had a CD drive in it but removed iit after
initial configuration)  so there is space in there for two more 3.5"
drives and the next stage will be to put a RAID 5 card into the unused
PCI slot and another 2 250Gb drives to give me 750 GB of usable storage
spacee redundantly striped across 1Tb in Total

To keep the OS seperate fromn the data drives this is stored on a 6Gb
2.5" laptop HD which is small enough to sit in caddy which Velcro's to
the underside of the HD bay (no more room for anything bigger once all
4 drives are in)

The RAID 1 (and later the RAID 5) give me redundancy in case of a HD
failure. And the OS drive backs itelf up to the data Array
periodically

the box is of course firewalled and does periodical shcheduled
antivirus updates and checks

The whole thing so far has cost me around £290.

--
Harani