I think its a misstake to have just one vision of the future, one model
for doing things for everyone. I think there are benifits to both thin
clients and multiple PC's everywhere. Different people what different
things and the tech companies should respond to that by offering
different solutions. Thats becoming more and more obvious to me and
what makes it all so interesting.

My personal favourite solution, for now anyway, it to have central
server in my home study/media room and feeding things like squeezeboxs,
video streaming boxs. I really don't want another PC in my living room.

There are pros and cons to both, but for me it's that fact that i have
just one PC to worry about. And appart from space and noise issues, i
have to think about the non-techy people in my life. I dont want to
have to turn the TV on mess around either, and i PC simply are not
stable enough yet. Has my DVD player ever crashed? No, i just plug in
it and use it. And what about the costs too? In theory having mutiple
PC boxs shoule be more expensive too.

I also dont like the fact that some people are taking the concept of
'Digital Convergence' too far. Yes, somethings are ment to come
together, like portable MP3 players and mobile phones, but i also
prefer one dedicated device that does it's job well rather than a jack
of all trades - master of neither.

For me, it's not Convergence but integration thats the key. Thats one
of the reasons we are seeing a boom in products like the Squeezebox,
IMO.

Thats not to say Media Cente type PC's are not the right solution for
some people. But the future should catter for us, whatever we want. Is
that not what technology is for?

PS, that said the future maybe even more different than anyone of us
think. Just look at mobile phones and the power they have now. PC's and
gadgets as we know them will be vastly different.

--
dangerous_dom