On Mar 29, 2006, at 11:43 AM, JJZolx wrote:
dean Wrote:
On Mar 28, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Michaelwagner wrote:
You mean it was saying it was too busy when it wasn't actually busy?
"Busy" is hard to define, especially on that server which is running
a lot of services (web, subversion, lists, wiki, forums, etc...).
It's probably better to have a slow experience rather than a failed
"too busy" experience until we see that there's a breaking point
where it's too slow to be usable.

If we ever hit that, we'll have to do something else, like manually
disable a service temporarily or upgrade the hardware.

-dean
You have _one_ server?

Fix that.
Fix what? The system is sufficiently powerful to run all those services simultaneously, even when we have a large burst of activity (like a product announcement or a Slashdotting). It has redundant internal hardware and we can move quickly to a backup server in case of a catastrophic system failure.

The problem was that the default vBulletin configuration was too conservative about when it would put up a "Too Busy" warning. We fixed that.