drjoe13 Wrote:
> I have my music stored on an external drive attached to my desktop.  Is
> it possible to use SlimServer on my laptop to pull the the music from
> the desktop and send it to my Roku Soundbridge?  I'm using the Roku
> Soundbridge and have been able to play music from the desktop, but
> thought it would be more convenient to use SlimServer from the laptop.
Your description leaves me a bit guessing what you're actually trying
to do. Do you want to run slimserver on your laptop or is slimserver
already running on the desktop and you're trying to access the web
interface from your desktop? If it is the latter then just do what
Michael said: Open your webbrowser and enter the url form Michael's
post (replace desktop with the IP address of your desktop computer). If
it is the former then install slimserver on the laptop. You need to
specify the path to your music library. This must be either a local
path or a path to a network resource. You must have network sharing
activated for the external drive on your desktop. See if you can map
the network share on the laptop before you enter its path in
slimserver. Keep in mind that with this setup you need to keep both
computers running. If you turn off your desktop the network share will
not be accessible anymore. It would be advisable to connect the
external drive directly to your laptop instead of doing the clumsy
detour via your desktop. If you setup network sharing on the laptop you
can still access the contents of the external disk form the desktop.
I hope you enjoy using slimserver and maybe one day you switch over to
the squeezebox to fully benefit from what the slimserver/squeezebox
combination has to offer! In case of problems with server/roku
interaction beware that not many people around here can/are willing to
help you. In such a case you're problably better off seeking help in
the roku forums.

-s.

--
slimpy