It happened to me recently when updating from 6.1.1 on Windows XP. The
installer failed to install Slim as a service although I had asked it
to start automatically.

All you need to do is follow the instructions in the Wiki,
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WindowsInstallationGuide
Note:
While you are given the option to run Slimserver service automatically
when you install on Wiindows, you may want to install and run the
SlimServer Windows service by hand.
Follow these instructions:

Open a "cmd" window and type "cd C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server".
Type "slim.exe -install auto" to install the SlimServer software so it
will automatically start as a Windows Service the next time you
reboot.

This fixed the problem for me.

--
MrStan