I'm finding the volume of messages in the General Discussion forum a
little high, and was about to unsubscribe when I realised it's the
vector by which I receive announcements (new SlimServer releases, new
hardware, new/upgraded plugins etc).

Is there a forum or mailing list which exists just for announcements?
If not, could such a thing be created?

I know that a lot of announcements already occur in General Discussion,
and others are made in the 3rd Party forum; I think that's good as
follow-up discussion belongs in those places.  Would it be possible to
(essentially) allow announcements to be cross-posted to a dedicated
announcements forum which doesn't allow replies?

I'm thinking, roughly, that when somebody starts a new thread to
announce something, a check-box could be ticked which creates a copy of
the post in the new forum and appends a link to the real thread.  Then
the subscribers to the announcements forum would see the announcement
notices only, and anybody who wanted to follow up could do so in the
real location.

I guess the announcements forum might need to be moderated to prevent
abuse (and in case the forum software couldn't be modified as suggested
above).

What does everyone think?  Should this be filed in the bugs DB?  Is it
feasible?

--
smst