One big problem people can have is that DMA is not turned on. This will
dramatically slow down any disk intensive tasks. Win2K has a bug where
it sometimes will turn this off for you. Not sure about XP. I had this
happen to me after I installed a SATA drive into a Win2K machine, and
none of the audio would play well. Found out what it was, enabled DMA,
and no more skipping.

That said, the rescan function will never be very quick. Every song in
your library needs to be accessed by your hard drive. If your disk is
fragmented, each fragment of the tag data needs to be accessed. Random
Seek Times for hard drives are roughly 10ms, and that's just to
position the read head above the data to be read. Reading the data
takes time too. The seek overhead for every 100 songs works out to be
about a second. So we will never see a 5000 song library rescanned in
less than a minute.

If you get real bad rescan times, I'd recommend defragging your library
with something like Norton's defrag utility (SpeedDisk?)

HTH
Tom

--
b1gcountry