radish Wrote:
> Except that just because the player is switched off doesn't mean the
> server wants to forget about it. You still want to see which players
> are connected, and maybe switch them on. That requires an active
> connection. Sure you could drop the connection on power off and bring
> it back on power on, but what if you couldn't? (because it wasn't
> there). That would lead to a UI action which couldn't be completed, and
> that's a Bad Thing (tm).
>
> The real question is, why not have the keepalives? They use essentially
> zero bandwidth.

The server does know the players IP.  So it could just remember that..
if the player IP changes its not like the old connection remains valid
anyway.

So to switch a player on.. the server could try to open a connection to
it.

Some people have trouble with the keepalives preventing their server
machine from going into standby..  I dont have this issue.. but I just
dont see why they are necessary.  I would have thought the squeezebox
was a passive network device.. in that when it isn't in use it just
sits there.. not impacting in any way on your network..

But I agree that the keepalives have an extremely minimal impact.

--
bigjules