> It [not having the SBs centrally located] would save you having to run
> speaker wires to each location, as well.

I'd still have to run speaker wires from a jack in each room to the
in-ceiling speakers.  I'd also have to run RCA cables from every room
to the amps in the basement, which I wouldn't have to do if the SBs
were down there too.

> That does include the limits on PC's, right? You're not going to get a
> dozen sound cards on a typical motherboard...

Yeah -- the $772.50 is for two computers with 6 PCI slots each,
custom-built with parts from Newegg.

> Some of these will have electronics anyway (DVD players, TV, etc) so
> it's not too hard to hide an sb3.

Besides the basement, the only two rooms with any A/V equipment in them
will be the media room and my office.  The only TV, DVD player and
receiver in the house will be in the media room.  I don't have cable or
satellite service.  Actually, I didn't even have a TV for a long time,
until my friend gave me his when he moved to Honduras.  I've got a lot
of computers in my office -- five at the moment.  Other than that, the
house is a pretty tech-free zone.  I get my fill of blinky lights
during work hours.

> I can't imagine people running around looking for the one or two
> controllers in the house just to change the music.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal.  With the SBs in the
basement, there will be three controllers -- two laptops that are
always in the same place and the mobile Nokia 770.  I'm not the sort of
person who has to fiddle with the remote every five seconds.  Usually,
I'm content to just let it go on random play all day long while I'm
working.

By way of analogy, I have only one set of keys to open my house's six
exterior doors, but I've never gotten trapped inside.  If I can find my
keys, I can find a remote.  If it becomes a problem, I can buy another
remote.

In any case, walking through a room or two to get to a laptop to change
the music is a lot better than running around looking for one of my
hundreds of CDs that are stacked all over the place and often in the
wrong cases.  Bits are a big improvement over atoms.

> The original posters dream solution, if Slim Devices made a display-less
> device for around $150, would beat the living crap out of Sonos.

Word.  If such a device existed at that price point, I'd have already
bought 11 of them.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

--
bmarston