Hi Gooner.

I had similar problems and seem to have managed to solve them by doing
2 things:

1.  As suggested, log-on to your router and change the channel to see
if this gives better signal strength.  Most routers are set to the same
channel by default (it can vary for different countries) and you may
have other networks in range which are conflicting with yours. I had 2
other networks on channel 11 so I moved to channel 6.

2. The wireless utility which came with your wireless card or adapter
will probably have a 'let windoze manage your wireless/network setting'
check-box.  DON'T use this option! The supplied utility may not be as
easy to use as Windoze but my experience is that they are much better
at not randomly dropping the connection.

--
hifisteve