On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:18:58 -0500, "Ben Sandee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> On 4/19/06, patrija
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have 2 SB2s connecting to Slimserver running on a Dell Server and a
> > Nokia 770 as a remote. Music is AAC and managed with playlists via
> > iTunes. Internet is Comcast cable on a 6MB line (usually) with modem
> > connected to a Belkin Pre-N wireless router. Works fine.
> >
> > Recently bought a lake house about 1.5 hours away. Installed 384k DSL
> > there. I have an old SB1 sitting in a drawer. Is it possible (and
> > realistic sound quality) to hook it up at the lake house and stream
> > music from home? My current and fall back solution to get the same
> > music and playlists is an iPOD and DLO HomeDock.
>
> It's *possible* but there are a few issues.
>
> First, because you're using AAC SlimServer will need to either stream
> uncompressed or transcode to MP3.  Depending on how important sound
> quality
> is to you, transcoding might be an issue.  Uncompressed would likely not
> work at all because it's simply too much data to stream reliably over
> those
> connections.
>
> Second the SB1 has a relatively small buffer -- although for MP3 it
> should
> be plenty large to handle the unpredictable latency of your connection.
> You
> might get better results with the SB2 at the lake.

That would probably be best.

> Finally, the last issue would be security.  You would probably want to
> investigate some sort of VPN solution between the two networks because
> SlimServer really isn't designed to be left open to the internet.  There
> have been numerous threads about this.

VPN is overkill and adds to the latency and complexity. A simple IP
address filter in your router or firewall should be just as effective. I
believe even slimserver has a way to restrict access to certain ip
addresses.

Regards,
Peter