I'm coming to this thread late, sorry.

There was a windows executable that contained internet explorer within it.
Apparently the version of IE contained in this window was causing problems and
thus was no longer supported by SlimDevices.

However, I had only one problem which was to do with typing in search criteria
in the fishbone skin, but I live with that.

I find the benefits of using the windows executable far outway the minor
problems, so I copied the slimserver.exe from a nightly release just before it
was pulled and stored it somewhere safe.  I still use it to this day - I
couldn't live without it.

The new slimserver tray icon application is next to useless.  All it does is
launch your browser with the localhost:9000 url.  This means for most people it
launches an IE window with the dimensions of the last IE window that was
opened.  There's no control over where it will appear, or it's size.  Also, you
get a full IE toolbar set, taking up valuble display space that's not used.  It
means that window cannot be iconised to the tray.

Also, I believe that IE refreshes whilst minimised, whereas the old slimserver
windows app didn't whilst minimised to the tray.  I see that as a good thing -
if I'm not looking at the web UI, I don't need it refreshing (and clicking).

So, if you have the exe at your other home, I suggest you keep hold of it,
otherwise I can email it to you - don't ask for any support though ;-)

Phil