I needed a way to keep my FLAC and MP3 libraries in synch so I wrote a
quick and dirty application to do this.  I'm not Perl fluent so it was
quicker for me to go this route, believe it or not.  It reads the
Ogg-vorbis comments out of the FLAC file, decodes the FLAC file back to
WAV and them "lames" it to MP3 applying the comments.  Most of the lame
settings are hard-coded right now and I don't plan on making it a hobby
to maintain the thing, but I'll be happy to hand off the source code to
someone who'd like to or anyone who's interested in customizing it for
their own needs.

There's certainly room for improvement as currently I read the entire
FLAC file into a byte array and then scan it for the comments - it
would certainly be more efficient to read the file only as much as
necessary to get the comments and then quit, but whatever, I just let
it run all night.  I've converted about 65GB of FLAC to 12GB of MP3
(192kbps) so far but will have to free up some room on my drive before
I can go any further.  It works well for what I needed and is
intelligent enough to ignore files and folders that it finds already
existing in the destination tree.

Yes, this is my first post but my Squeezebox (had it about a month) has
been so easy to use that I really haven't had any questions I couldn't
get answered by searching here.

My Squeezebox rocks - I truly love this device.

John

--
johnc_22