Michaelwagner Wrote:
> Why does all that have to be in ROM?

It's a flash-based, embedded platform.

> No one else's ROM does all that. Most "big" computers load the kernel
> off a hard disk, why couldn't this one?

It's like a PocketPC - all the programs are stored in ROM.  There isn't
supposed to be a hard drive.

However you do have CF slots with some of them.  You can load bigger
packages in CF and with a CF-IDE adapter I suppose you could tie it to
a honkin' big 500 GB 3.5" HDD.

You're right, I see no reason why you can't have software installed on
the CF (or CF-IDE).

> Surely *some* way exists, since that's how every other computer does
> it.

Yes, I really ought to start playing with one of these things before I
make statements like that.  You just mount the CF/IDE drive using
standard procedures for mounting a drive.

> You're right, that might be easier. Certainly shoe-horning Slimserver
> into 64Mb would be a challenge at the moment, and there's no indication
> they're moving in the direction of a smaller RAM footprint.

And there's no way to increase the RAM.  At least with the SOM/ PC/104
boards you can use standard RAM modules.  The SOM / PC/104 gear isn't
intended for consumers though, so it may be hard to get.

This is all sounding like a complicated solution for a relatively
simple problem.  It may just be easier and cheaper to hack a NAS box.
But it wouldn't be as fun.  ;-)

--
Mark Lanctot