The plastic face plate or the aluminum face plate?

The aluminum plate is, as you know, brushed aluminum so the scratches
are on purpose.

The plastic face plate, well that's a good question.  I've been
thinking about something like this myself.  On damaged CDs, I use a CD
repair kit, which simply consists of a tough kind of paper towel (I
believe it's made by 'hydroentanglement'
(http://www.engr.utk.edu/mse/pages/Textiles/Spunlace.htm) of plastic
fibres), a buffing compound and 2500-grit wet sandpaper.  I've almost
run out of the buffing compound and I'm considering switching to
automotive buffing compound.  It's finding the right grittiness that's
the problem, but if you find the right one, scratches buff right out.
It would surely work on the SB3 faceplate but it's finding the right
grit that's tricky.

The thing with doing this work - you have to press VERY hard, more or
less as hard as you can push, and rub as hard as you can until you feel
heat building up!  I used to rub so hard that after a while the towel
would rip and I'd be rubbing with my bare skin, which caused burns.  I
now use a rubber glove, which you should use anyway if you're going to
use Brasso.

But I'd advise to try automotive buffing compound as well.

In regards to a buffing "towel" you need something much stronger than a
paper towel - it will rip in seconds.  I'm considering using a J-Cloth,
but its web may be too porous.

So based on my experience with CDs I'd say it's possible.  It would be
difficult to put the required pressure on the SB3 since it won't lay
flat though.

--
Mark Lanctot