mrtaber Wrote:
> I know, I know, they both are lossless.  However, ALAC is transcoded on
> the server to AIFF, while FLAC can be transcoded to WAV on the server,
> or decoded directly on the Squeezebox.

Just so you know, AIFF and WAV are both uncompressed formats, and
they're both just wrappers for PCM data.  The difference is that WAV is
little-endian while AIFF is big-endian, and they use different headers.
The data they contain should be identical however.  (And when I say
identical, I mean actual identical bits, just in a different
byte-ordering.  ALAC and FLAC are not identical although they should
decompress to identical files, but AIFF and WAV are, essentially, as
close as you can get to being identical without actually being
duplicates.)

If you hear any difference between the formats it would be due to bugs
in the decoders, not differences in any of the file formats.  Do know
that there is a bug that affects ALAC files that causes the first few
tenths-of-a-second to be cut off from songs.  A similar bug affects
FLAC that causes the last fraction of a second to be skipped.

--
cepheid