I've followed your advice and ditched my MIP fingerprint and data tags
from all MP3s.  I stopped both MIP and ML and then rescanned everything
to hopefully clear the corruption.  Then I've restarted MIP and ML, and
slim is in the middle of a rescan again.

I think you're right on both counts - the MIP fingerprint and data tags
are having an impact, plus MIP and "special characters" are a bit of a
problem.  I've been scanning through some of the posts on the MIP
forums, and both the extra tags and special characters were mentioned a
couple of times.

For the record, I'm also seeing blank squares in some of my tracks -
notably those with special characters.  These would also appear to be
the same tracks where the year tag suddenly disappears.  (Though the
year tag problem has also happened on "nomal" tracks)

--
gutted

http://www.last.fm/user/gutt3d/

Slimserver 6.2.2 +MusicIP Mixer 1.6b2 +MoodLogic 2.7.1.18 +AlienBBC
1.02a +Slimscrobbler 0.34
Windows 2000 Professional sp4
Intel Celeron 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
Squeezebox 1 wireless (Player Firmware Version: 40)
Library of approx 6300 MP3s