charlesr, what kind of amp are you planning to use to drive these? I've
had similar thoughts in mind, but it's tough finding an amp that fits
the 'small' bill. I've been looking at powered speakers as an
alternative. Eventually I bought one of these on a satisfaction or
return basis, and liked it enough to keep it, though I must say they
seem to have gone up in price a bit since I got mine.

http://www.k8000b.powertraveller.com/

The great thing is it's small enough to put in a bag and hook up to an
mp3 player for weekends away, holidays etc.

--
hunta