Plugin download count doesn't take into account how many people just use
Slimserver without a Squeezebox, maybe just with Softsqueeze or other
player.  Not a bad metric, but I think there's too much variance.

Some more random data for the month of may '06:

SlimCD:       535
MusicInfoSCR: 167
AlbumReview:  219
Biography:    161
NoSetup:       38
SlimRemote:   420

But then there are those downloads which are cancelled. Take the SlimCD example: those 535 downloads generated "only" 31GB of traffic. Considering a download size of 100MB this number should be much higher. There must have been about 30% canceled downloads.

Now, how much feedback do I get for these hundreds of downloads? A few dozens. SlimRemote? I know of about a hand full of users who at least tried to run it. All the other either just use it or threw it away immediately. What I want to say: only a minor number of users is here in the forums. Most users just run their Slimserver and Squeezeboxes without ever appearing here. Forum user count is as little a measure as plugin downloads.

BTW: last night, when I got aware of the numbers for SlimCD, I had to check my web hoster's contract... SlimCD has been downloaded about 4300x since the first announcement about 12 months ago, generating some 300GB of traffic. Though this is a shared hosting environment I luckily enough don't have a traffic limit. SlimCD is generating about 97% of my domain's transfer volume :-)

--

Michael