Mark Lanctot Wrote:
> Not to beat up on poor ceejay, but I tested this once for a review of a
> router:

Well, fortunately I have quite a thick skin so don't feel terribly
beaten up!

The point I was trying to make in a very short post was that you
probably won't get 100% usage from a LAN. I offered 50% as a rule of
thumb that has worked well for me.

I'd agree that a short point to point will get much closer to 100%
because you really only have to worry about some overhead.

But when you start to run long cables, or introduce multiple devices on
the network, that figure drops.  In my case, I know that if I'm doing a
sustained long copy across my network (when backing up my music
library, for example), 50% is pretty much what I get.

Let's also not forget the context of the original question - "how many
streams can you have?" Which implies multiple devices and contention as
being relevant....

YMMV !

Ceejay

--