avaloncourt Wrote:
> I was just listening to a tech radio show today and the caller was
> Canadian. He talked about Shaw cable. They're penalizing accounts $10
> if they detect VoIP usage. They won't charge $10 if the subscriber uses
> Shaw's VoIP service. Expect more of that.

Wow that is pretty stupid.

VoIP has been more or less crushed in Canada with things like that.  In
the East (Shaw's in the West), Bell Canada will not allow you to have
DSL without having a phone number attached to it - their phone service,
of course.  That defeats the purpose of VoIP since you can't do away
with your conventional phone, or at least you don't stop paying for it.

This effectively limits VoIP to cable users.

What's really crappy about it is that Bell is STILL not offering their
own VoIP, so essentially they're saying "You can't have it until we
offer it, in 2008 or thereabouts."

I'm thankful that they aren't limiting Internet traffic by type, which
is why I was saying things may be better here, but I wouldn't put it
past them.  The problem is, what alternative is there?  None.  If they
say you can't have streaming media, you move to cable.  If cable blocks
it too (this is likely as they follow each other move-for-move) then you
have to do without.  It's as simple as that.

Both out West and out East, you have two big monopolies.  One DSL, one
cable.  For DSL, Telus in the West and Bell in the East.  For cable,
Shaw in the West and Rogers in the East.  They try to compete with each
other, but when it comes to customers they coundn't care less.

It's not like "we won't give it to you for that price" it's more like
"you can't have it, period."

--
Mark Lanctot