fuzzyT Wrote:
> I am running GigE w/ Jumbo packets to a ReadyNAS NV. And, no, the disc
> accesses and transfers are not as fast as against a local drive. But
> they are pretty good. And better for reads than writes, which is what
> the scanner would be doing. And it remains to be seen whether the
> combination of slower disc plus faster PC yields a faster or slower
> scan.
>
> And despite the potential speed issue, I think running the scanner on
> the PC rather than the NAS might still be a good approach. It's nice
> if
> the scan finishes quickly, but it may be more important that the NAS
> is
> not starved for cycles that might cause slowness in the SS user
> interface.
Absolutely.  I'm just saying there's a tradeoff that will be a factor
of scanning PC speed, network speed, and the speed of the
computer/device with the music files.   Given the low CPU power of the
Infrants, it will probably be faster if you scan from a moderately
powered PC.

One thing to realize in the scenario where you're running SlimServer on
the NAS, is that the NAS also has to feed those files to the network at
the same time.  The Infrant doesn't have a separate CPU and a dedicated
hardware RAID controller.  Instead, they've taken their specialized
storage processor and decided to run a general purpose operating system
on it.  That processor has to perform all of the disk and RAID I/O while
doing whatever else you ask of it.

Here's my setup:

SlimServer: P4 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM
Music Store: Infrant ReadyNAS 600 w/4 x 320GB drives
Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2GB RAM
Switch: SMC DGS-108 GigE, jumbo frames

The P4 server pulls files from the NAS when scanning or streaming.
Scanning is definitely slower than if the files were local, but still
reasonable - about 25 minutes to scan 10,000 Flac files.  I'm guessing
I may be able to cut that down somewhat by moving the scanning process
to the Athlon X2 desktop machine.

As far as the benefits of Gigabit Ethernet.  It's faster that 100 Mb
Ethernet, but in the real world maybe not as much faster as you'd
think.  There a lot of other factors that go into how fast a machine
can send or receive data across a network, particularly when reading or
writing that data to disk.  Any of the throughput numbers published by
Infrant for their NASs are idealized, best possible test numbers
obtained by transferring a single 1 gigabyte file using GigE with jumbo
frames.  A real world test of transferring, say, fifteen 25 MByte files
(an album in Flac) will give much lower throughput numbers.

--
JJZolx

Jim