I use my 770 as a network player connected to some powered speakers.  It works fine but you don't get the control that you do with a squeezebox (hit pause and it plays out the buffer for example) but it does give you a bit of extra value out of it.

I've got a Jamin as well but i've not managed to get it connected to my wireless net yet (i just need to check my keys i think).  the screen will probably be too small and low res to use effectively as an SB remote (but on the other hand it could be free as an upgrade phone rather than £245)

the 770 is a nice device but i really don't think it's worth that amount of money - an older pda would probably be a lot faster and cheaper.