agentsmith Wrote:
> I am considering getting a qnap and has some quesitons:
>
> 1. Performance:  How is the performance especially with a lot of
> lossless music installed?  I have a Buffalo Linkstation with Slim
> installed and the response time is dismal both from the remote control
> and web.  Would the QNAP having tested with SS perform much better?
>
> 2. Ease of update and install: How does that work?  With the Buffalo
> you pretty much have to be a Linux guy to hack SS into it.  Is the QNAP
> any better with updates?
>
> 3. Plugins:  Would it support all Linux plugins?  How difficult to
> install?  Does MusicIP work with it?
>
> 4. How to get TS-101 with SS installed?  Can I get any old TS-101 and
> install firmware?  If not, can I buy the firmware?
>
> Thanks in advance
1. I've got about 400 albums ripped to FLAC. The QNAP is a wee bit
slower from the web interface compared to a PC but IMHO, not much. From
the remote, I'm hard pushed to notice any difference. The response seems
instant.
2. Slimserver updates are easy. Download from the update site, copy to
a directory on the QNAP and reboot. That's it. Qnap firmware updates
are similarly easy, but done through the QNAP web interface admin page.
No Linux knowledge is necessary.
3. Some plug-ins are already available (AlienBBC for example). Others
can be implemented on request.
4. You have to buy the QNAP with SS installed as it is not user
installable. This means buying from the UK agent (Progressive AV or
their retail arm, Cooltopia) or one of their stockists. The reason for
this is that QNAP did not design the TS-101 as an open system, but as a
low cost NAS/webserver/printserver, but Progressive spotted its
potential as a low cost Slimserver so negotiated with QNAP to allow
them to install SS. I think they deserve a lot of credit for doing so.

--
Fifer