I've run tests myself to compare encode speed vs. compression.
Obviously, if speed is not an issue, 8 is the best.  That's what I
typically use.  However, if I want to go faster but still have
reasonable compression, 5-6 is pretty good.  The speed difference from
1-5-6 is minimal, while the compression gains are great.  Conversely,
the speed difference from 6-8 is drastic, while the compression gains
are marginal.  I used 5 or 6 (I don't remember which now) when ripping
and encoding my neighbor's music collection a few weeks ago because I
wanted the encoding jobs to finish ASAP and didn't mind if he ended up
using a bit of extra space.  :)

--
eq72521