hcanning Wrote:
> OK I don't have any problem whatsoever connecting my Squeezeboxen
> between multiple physical servers... But how on earth would I make
> Slimserver run twice on windows? I can easily enough whack another
> network card in and have another interface
You don't need more than one network card.  You can easily have
multiple IP addresses bound to one card.

In Windows XP, go to:

Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection

> Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties

You have to set up the IP addresses manually - you can't use DHCP.
Select 'Use the following IP adddress' and enter an IP address, subnet
mask, and gateway.  You'll also have to manually enter the DNS
servers.

Then go to Advanced > IP Settings, where you can enter as many
additional IP addresses and subnet masks as you like.

To run SlimServer on a particular IP address (you'll have to do this
for every instance of SlimServer running on the machine) you use
command-line parameters to specify the IP address:

Code:
--------------------
    "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" --playeraddr 192.168.9.4
--httpaddr 192.168.9.4 --cliaddr 192.168.9.4 --streamaddr 192.168.9.4
--------------------

I haven't played with it enough to know whether or not you can run two
instances of SlimServer from the same physical files or whether you
must have two completely separate installation directories.  There's
another command line option that tells SlimServer where the prefs file
is, so I think that you might be able to use the same install and just
specify different prefs files.  Within the prefs file, you'd point at
different database files.  Copy the original and edit it manually.

--prefsfile "C\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver.pref"

--prefsfile "C\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver2.pref"

Now, if you want them both to run as Windows services, you'll have to
install at least one of the services yourself using Microsoft's
Resource Kit tool 'instrv.exe' and then editing the registry.

Of course, all for naught until bug 3591 is fixed.

--
JJZolx

Jim