On 7/9/06, funkstar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
EDIT: another down side of Flash is that any developer wanting to
contribute to its development will need a licenced copy. also who knows
how this will work with the SlimDevices SVN code base. I'm guessing you
would have to check out the latest version, make changes to it, then
check your version back in. All the time hoping you are the only one
working on the file so you don't have conflicting updates etc.
I do think a Flash interface will appear at some point, and i can see
some people really liking it, but i also think you can get just as much
functionality from a well engineered web interface.

OpenLaszlo solve some of this, although the new Legals project is a
bit heavyweight for my tastes.

For what it's worth, ExBrowse3 is structured far more like an
application than a web page; it just happens to use HTML for the UI
rather than XUL or a more conventional toolkit. I started doing web
development with the SlimServer XUL skin a few years ago, but XUL
really isn't designed for unsigned use within an ordinary web site.
Sure, you can do fun stuff like real, desktop-integrated D&D with
Gecko and XUL... but that can only be done if the app runs with local
priviledges, as an extension or standalone XULRunner app (i.e.
Songbird), or as a (horribly cumbersome to develop) signed script with
annoying Javascript security popups.

Writing a client-side app in Javascript/HTML has advantages and
disadvantages; it's a horrible PITA to write (the browsers take "write
once, debug everywhere" to a whole new level), and is almost
impossible to work with if you aren't already familiar with all the
code (which is why EB3 breaks far too often). On the other hand, when
it works, it's really really cool.

Hopefully, within the next few years there will be ways of integrating
the structure and power of the new MVC frameworks more closely with
client-side Javascript. InnerHTML doesn't count. ;) It hasn't happened
yet, though.

- Jacob