Quoting dangerous_dom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

There are aspects of SS people obviously take very seriously, but i
can't help but feel CUE support is very low down the list. Maybe there
are good reasons for this, such as not many people use CUE's (but
looking in the tagging/ripping forum it seems more and more people are
interested in it).

I'd suggest that the reasons are much simpler. Those who work on slimserver, paid and unpaid, probably have their own music in other formats. For me, I can't see point of a CUE sheet-based system. If I want to move tracks to another location, work computer or music player, I want to move single tracks, not whole albums. I ripped these from CD and have no intent to burn back to cd as I have the CD's all packed away in sleeves in case I ever need them. On many occasions, I've created samples and worked out a few bugs in order to help. I've found along the way that "the right way" for CUE sheets still seems to allow for a great deal of variation. Somewhere along the way, slimserver seems to have also picked up non-standard features that were requested.

I don't think that anyone deliberately puts CUE sheets into a ghetto, nor is any other format. Their complexity makes them a bit more time consuming, and it is often harder to get examples of problems becuase the files are so large. Priority becomes far less of a factor than the complexity of the problem itself. CUE sheets get fixed only after hours of effort, and the result is "works for me, thanks" from one user and 10 new ones saying "my CUE sheet is broken". Add in the continual dictation as to HOW cue sheets should be handled and appear, well...that just makes me want to avoid it altogether. At least with single files, there is no question: parse the tags and list them. Cue sheets: do you show the whole file, or not. Does the cue sheet metadata override tags or not or both? Ask a number of users and you might get lucky with a consensus. However, once implemented, the other camps will then appear fuming about how their setups used to work and are now broken. Unfortunately, it isn't policy on slimserver to simply say 'no' when it comes to making changes for the latest and loudest request.

I know this does less than nothing to help you solve your issue. I can certainly understand the frustration of having your library in a non-working state. Believe me, being a developer doesn't mean that you get the server wokgin just the way you want either. However, my hope is that by outlining at least my take on the issues, that you and others who come across this may understand that it isn't any deliberate sleight against CUE sheets, that it most certainly is a priority to get all supported formats working and parsed correctly.

my current plan is to try and look at 6.3 parsing during lunch, just to see if it is an obvious problem. I just have to hope the download to my work computer can complete before lunchtime.

-kdf