I have a working theory, it explains some of the behaviour but not all.

The BBC have changed their WMA streams URL mechanism.  The ASX file
contains two URLs to be used to play the station.  However the URLs
changed each time ASX is read.  AFAICT the URLs can only be used/opened
once - the 2nd or more opening leaves a connection that hangs.
Alternatively it might be the URL must be opened within a time period.

MPlayer opens an URL many times to determine the stream type - so
Mplayer works on command line.  However in the slimserver contexr I
think Slimserver may have opened the URL as well so by the time Mplayer
opens it - it just hangs.

Simple workaround solution.

SB2/3 will work standalone with SN.
SoftSqueeze requires a PC so why not use RealAudio stream and not the
WMA one.

Since RealAudio streams work and standalone SB3/2 work,  I don't see
much point in spending more effort on this.  Softsqueeze hanging is a
different matter but I suspect timeout will kick in only if you DO
NOTHING with the keys as each key press restart the screensaver timer.

--
bpa