bklaas Wrote:
> serendiptous of you to post this today, as I just ordered a WRT54GL this
> morning for exactly this purpose, and have been reading up on DD-WRT for
> the last few hours. Sounds like you're happy with how the linksys
> hacking went? Any major gotchas? Are you boosting your signal?
This must just be the thing for Slim-owners to do this week.  I just
picked up a WRT54G v1 from my local Freecycle group.  The owner said it
stoped working, so I picked it up for free.  After just a few minutes of
testing it turned out it was a bad wall-wart. Amazingly, the power
supply from an extra Slimp3 I had was an exact match (voltage, amps and
tip size).

I installed the generic DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/30/06) mini and could
not be happier with it.  The only problem I had was the the router had
the original v.1.01 Linksys firmware on it from 2003, and the update to
DD-WRT didn't work.  I flashed it with the newest Linksys firmware (I
think it was 4.something) and then applied the DD-WRT flash without
incident.  I have to say, I was amazed with all the options that this
opened.  I also could not resist the urge to boost the signal. I pushed
it up to 70 and I now have good coverage of my entire house and most of
my yard, something no other router has managed.

--Tom Malsbury

--
malsbury