sbutton Wrote:
> I have around, I dunno, 6 thousand songs at last count mosty from
> ripping my CD collection, and I'd like to be able to play higher rated
> songs some of the time.
I have a similarly sized library and had the same problem - here's how
I do it in SlimServer 6.5.

I start at the position that all songs are in my collection for a
reason - I must have liked them  at some point. So I assume that
unrated songs have a 3 star (60%) rating unless actually rated
differently.

I also assume that a rating of one star means "never play on random".
It doesn't actually mean I hate the track - I just use it as shorthand
to flag songs I don't want on random which is the only time that
ratings actually have any impact for me. Actually I also have some
genres that I always exclude from random playback (audiobooks,
classical etc.)

I use the SQL PlayList plugin to create a random playlist that is
biased in favour of higher rated songs and treats unrated songs as
being mid-rated.

I use the iTunes Update plugin to record my ratings and send them back
to iTunes. If you don't use iTunes then you could look at the TrackStat
plugin.

And when I get something on random that I love/hate then I rate it to
fine tune feedback into the process.

I also combine this with forcing myself to listen to unplayed tracks on
random when I'm working so that I eventually will hit my entire
collection and weed out the junk I don't want to hear on random again.

Over time I'm gradually fine tuning my ratings so that stuff I really
like gets a higher rating and comes around more often.

I've also considered that any track that I play to completion (without
manually rating it) should get an average rating of 3 stars but I've
not got as far as deciding if that's a good idea.

--
barcar