Following is an excerpt from my posting on the Audioholics form,
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24246&page=2.

I think Slim Devices should be commended on releasing a very innovative
product. The problem is that the current content distribution methods
don't allow the full capabilities of the Transporter to be utilized.
The best sound format you can deliver to this box is Red Book CD.
Otherwise it's 128kbs MP3 (ugh!). Slim Devices apparently has a
relationship with RealNetworks as their Squeezebox and Transporter
devices access Rhapsody. I think it would be a killer app for
audiophiles if Real (or Urge or iTunes or any other download site out
there) to offer high-def sound (at least 24-bit/96kHz x 2ch). I'd even
pay double ($2/track) for the priviledge. This service would make
products like the Transporter a lot more attractive and could serve to
rejuvenate the lackluster high-end industry.

--
CharlyD