mbonsack Wrote:
> From a software development standpoint, then, SS is at extreme risk for
> not making the Sept 18 deadline.  The software should be in beta with
> only 50 or so days left before release. Though I'm happy with 6.3.x and
> not using 6.5, from the traffic in these forums it looks like there's
> *no way* it's ready to enter beta, and a 60-day beta is the absolute
> minimum I've seen to get a true quality release out the door -- both on
> software I've worked on and that which I've purchased.

You can't throw random numbers like that around, they're entirely
dependent on the software in question and the team building it. I used
to work on an application many orders of magnitude larger and more
complex than Slimserver and our entire release cycle was 6 weeks -
essentially 3 weeks for dev and 3 for test & fix. Worked well for a
number of years. On the other hand, some companies can spend a year or
more in public beta and still produce a sub-par end result. Personally,
I'm not at all concerned about 6.5 right now (not that it would matter
if I were!). They've got a good solid few weeks of dev left, middle of
august would be a good time to solidify the feature list and throw out
anything not done or looking patchy, a week or so to tie up loose ends
and then still 3+ weeks for a solid testing phase. With the level of
interaction from tech savvy community members I'd be pretty confident
of getting a good result. But I'm not the QA manager :)

--
radish