Hmmn, thanks for the tip, and you weren't stating the obvious as I
hadn't read up on creating objects from asp pages. However, it still
doesn't fix my problem.

I've experimented a bit more and I've made a valid xml file and stored
it in my virtual directory.

If i reference it from my asp page using a real disc path eg
c:\vdirectory\file.wma it successfully reads the file into the
DOMdocument object.

BUT

If i reference it fro my asp page using an http reference path eg
http://localhost/jukebox/file.wma it successfully reads the file into
the DOMdocument object. (it still reads ok from vb script in either
case).

I conclude that it has to be related to permissions or security. I'm
using IIS for my web server and I'm running windows XP on a home
network basis

Any other ideas?

thanks very much for your help by the way !

--
mickweight